The Pulpit

There was a three deck pulpit until in 1826, a carpenter was paid ‘to make a new box in the pulpit and repair the two benches below it’. There are niches on each side of the pulpit for statues which may have been of St Michael and Angels. Steps led up to a rood loft and screen which would have divided the nave and choir from the chancel.  A rood (derivative of the Anglo-Saxon word for cross) was a large cross suspended in the middle of the nave. Most of the rood screens and images in Monmouthshire were removed during the reign of Edward VI and it is probable that St Michael’s suffered the same fate